The City No Longer Forsaken

"They will be called the Holy People, the Redeemed of the LORD; and you will be called Sought After, the City No Longer Deserted." ~Isaiah 62:12

Friday, September 11, 2009

A new job!

A couple weeks ago, I visited the World Mission Prayer League with one of my missionary friends who was doing a presentation about Japan. I unknowingly sat down with the director of the organization at dinner time and ended up getting to tell him about Japan and my experiences and what I was up to at the moment (hoping to get back to Japan and looking for some temporary work in the meantime). I was assuming temporary work would be through a temp agency or something like a college summer job...I planned to apply to Starbucks or another coffee shop.

Because of this conversation at WMPL, however, I found myself busing across the Cities last week to meet Bud for the first time. Bud is a retired OB/GYN doctor who has gone on a number of short term medical missions. He was one of the founding members of Lutheran Health Care: Bangladesh (LHC:B). The number of acronyms in my life has gone up significantly since meeting him. ;-)

Right now Bud is trying to get the story of LHC:B on paper, and I've been hired in a temporary position to help him do that. I cannot help grinning when I think about what an awesome job God found for me. Basically, I need to run a digital recorder and coax a story out of Bud. The story is hidden underneath a lot of details and business strategies, but there are moments when I see the real story...the story of God and the people He loves...in the middle of all that. I just need to uncover it and draw it out with good questions.

No comments: